03 August 2010

sunshine + fabric

You know how they say you should store your fabrics and quilts out of the sunlight?  Well, let me provide a brief illustration of what happens when you expose your fabric to a whole lot of sunlight!

The closet in which I keep my clothes has a window.  A south-facing window (LOTS of intense light).


When I first moved into this apartment, I knew that I needed to put in a curtain to block the sun. I ended up using a bit of quilting fabric.

After five years, this is what the fabric looks like:
Buzz's paw is on the part of the fabric that hangs below the window, protected by the wall. The bleached out bit is from the sun! Can you believe it?  This is Michael Miller fabric, so this is not happening because the fabric is low in quality.  It's actually pretty fascinating what is bleached out and what remains.
The fabric feels the same in both portions.  I couldn't tear either part or cause the threads to separate or fray by scratching.  Who knows what the underlying issues might be, though.

Can you imagine if this fabric was part of a big stash that had been folded and stashed in a sunny place? 
That could be truly, epically bad!
If you have a sunny sewing room (I have a dim corner or an office!)  Get doors for your shelves or a cabinet or something.
Or you might end up making sad faces like Buzz Buzz Full of Fuzz!

14 comments:

  1. how long did it take to fade like that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a whole lot of fading! Buzz is awfully cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but think of the possibilities with sun bleached fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - what a difference! Although, I like the bleached fabric just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just joined as a follower yesterday. Isn't is fun when our animals HAVE to be in the pictures? Fly Fly says hi to Buzz Buzz Full of Fuzz! .. see Fly here -> http://twodraftmom.blogspot.com/2010/08/day-that-changed-everything.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, this makes my windowless sewing room seem even more awesome than before! I don't think we'll go to the expense to put in a window like we had planned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Buzz seems so happy to help!
    I kinda love the bleached effect

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing! I just looked at the curtain on our side door and there is a very visible dark border that was hidden by the window frame, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woah. That's CRAZY!! My Mother-in-Law has lots of quilts and lots of sunny rooms and I've seen how they can change over time, but none like this. Thanks for sharing. I'm hiding my stash in the shade today...

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's amazing how much damage the sun can do make ya think twice about applying sun screen to your skin. Buzz is adorable, I love how he looks like he's holding the end of the fabric down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tip. I may need to do a little rearranging.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, that would never happen in the UK. It's the start of August and we've not seen any sun for days and days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We had a bedspread that faded on one side due to sunlight but it was store-bought so I didn't feel too bad. I think your fabric is neat. It looks like you've got a matching border!

    ReplyDelete

Chime in! (I like chimes!)