[ the sale in the shop continues...thanks for the orders so far!]
[ and thank you to Dan for loaning me his spare camera in the meantime! ]
These fabric markers have a life of their own and have been weaseling their way into a number of my recent projects.
Having said that a piece of fabric Elle algipainted would make a cool napkin, I set about stitching one up. Because of the way Elle had done her fabric painting (green grid on the slant and flowers within the grid) once I cut it and joined it to the Amy Butler print, there was a blank spot that just looked wrong. Before I knew what was happening, a green marker was in my hand and I was filling in the blank space! I then darkened a few other squares for a more unified look. I really like the results.
There are a million ways to make napkins. Because I don't like ironing tiny little hems, I like to make napkins by
1. sewing two fat-quarters together almost all the way around (right sides in) with a 1/4 or 1/2-inch seam (leave a 3-inch opening along one of the sides)
2. pressing the seams open (essential for getting a neat edge)
3. turning the napkin right side out.
4. stitching right along the edge all the way around.
scarves, the markers faded quite a bit when washed. I think that maybe the quilter's cotton had a better result because of the high thread count.
My markers weren't done with me, because they also made their way into a couple of quilt blocks I made on Friday. After reading a blog post about a young father who was fighting cancer and a friend who wanted to make a quilt to help him, I volunteered to make a couple of blocks for the quilt.
Lucia had decided on a blue and gray color scheme for Errick's quilt and asked that we please pick fabrics that weren't too feminine or juvenile. When I went through my stash...
These blocks are on their way to Lucia tomorrow!
I can only hope that my non-toxic markers have some serious cancer-killing vibes! Go markers go!