29 June 2010

More on Chain Piecing

I love that there's a whole vocabulary for this that I never knew.
"Threadsavers" "thread catcher" "threadbunny" "Leaders and enders" "Drive on"

It reminds me of this lovely ABC book I checked out from the library to read to my friend's 2-year-old.
sleepy abc

There are thousands of "A if for..." books out there, but this one is really so charming.

There needs to be an equally charming Quilting ABC book, we quilters certainly have enough vocabulary.
If I write it, will you draw? I mean, someone needs to write a quilting book for the toddler set.  I've read a few kid's story books featuring quilting and I really only liked this one:
bend pic
Do you have any recommendations for kid's story books about quilting/quilts/quilters?


I spent part of today thinking about good projects to piece as "leaders and enders" instead of making and throwing out threadbunnies.  It seems like you'd want a simple pattern for a leaders and enders project.  I've started a gallery of ideas that contains mostly quilts that are simple squares or half-square triangles (I would piece the half-square triangles using the sew then cut method.)
 
If you look at the gallery and have any more  ideas for me, let me know (comment here or on the flickr gallery) and I'll add the idea to the gallery.

Someone asked if there was a tutorial for chain piecing.  I found this one online:

I must say, her machine is a bit smoother than mine as she's always able to slip the next piece of fabric under the foot.  I do have to pick up my presser foot a smidge sometimes to put the next piece of fabric onto the feed dogs (sorry, no video capability in my house at the moment!)

Actually, the stack-and-whack blocks that she's piecing would be suitable for leaders and enders, too.  Hmmm....

11 comments:

  1. This is a must for a beautiful childrens quilt book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Quiltmakers-Gift-Jeff-Brumbeau/dp/0439309107/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277819166&sr=8-1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this website a couple of weeks ago for scrappy quilts. Although her style is way more traditional than yours, I think there are some great quilt patterns you can see on the right hand side. http://quiltville.com/index.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to recommend the Quiltmakers GIft as well. I bought it a few times for friend's when I couldn't make a baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the Patchwork Cat by Nicola Bayley, lovely illustrations too
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Patchwork-Cat-Red-picture-books/dp/0099983206

    Like that Gee's Bend book, thanks for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. Check out The Prince's Bedtime. It talks briefly about his patchwork quilt. It's a cute story about trying to get the Prince to go to sleep. Here's a link http://www.barefootbooks.com/marketplace/4867

    ReplyDelete
  6. i've always enjoyed the children's quilt books by Jane Tenorio-Coscarelli :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read to my children Sweet Clara and the Freedom Quilt. Wonderful book! Also - I learned chain piecing in a Log Cabin Quilt class! Makes a log cabin go together very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To echo Mkate, if you are getting serious about leaders & enders, you do have to look at Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville website.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Quiltmaker's Gift is the only one I know (and we have!) so thanks for mentioning it - love all these suggestions!

    And I'm all for a quilter's ABC - but no drawing - I be we can make little quilted depictions of our letters though....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rossie,
    I highly believe in the leaders and enders philosophy (if it can be called that) as well. Maybe I'm just lazy. But I also like to think i'm working on more than one project at once and you can make a super easy quilt with charm squares (mine are precut 5" squares) and some 2.5" wide sashing strips. Then you can just run those through in between other pieces for another quilt. I actually think I pieced two quilts at once using this technique. i called it the In Between Quilt. I had to do 50 or 60 sets of 4 patches for a Jacob's ladder quilt and I pieced those in between too. I hope that makes sense. I thought i had a little video called the In Between Quilt on my personal blog http://sewgoodsewfar.wordpress.com but I couldn't find it. OK, sorry to ramble. Love your blog!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have all The Quiltmaker's Gift books - the children's books and the quilting books. They are definite favorites. Another favorite is Mother Earth and Her Children: A Quilted Fairy Tale. It's a lovely story that inspired an incredible quilt. There are a few images from the quilt and book here: http://www.brecklingpress.com/mother_earth_info.htm

    Annie

    ReplyDelete

Chime in! (I like chimes!)