05 May 2010

graduation

It was great!

First of all, let me say that the reporter from the New York Times must be crazy (Helene Cooper, I'm talking to you!)  They said that Obama spoke to a "mostly friendly crowd at the stadium in Michigan."  Not accurate.  Obama spoke to an entirely rapt and respectful audience.

I'm sure that many of the students voted for the other guy, but since they managed to get enough of an education to graduate, they can appreciate the importance of listening carefully and respectfully to the President.  As I told my mom, "We were better behaved than the U.S. Congress!"

I had decided not to march in the ceremony, but to sit in the stands with my mom, since she came to town just for the occasion.  Our morning was very eventful because her flight was massively delayed. We weren't even sure if we'd be able to get in to the ceremony. Here's why:


The rest of the weekend was spent having all kinds of fun with my mom and my friends.  I'm still in recovery mode.  Which seems to resemble post-break-up behavior.  You know, where you are so emotionally exhausted that you are only capable of eating ice cream.  Delicious, delicious ice cream.

I'm going to try to eat some vegetables and get back to work today.  I've got plenty to do!
I've made a visual representation of my "Spring to Finish" to do list:
I've been peeling off the papers when I finish the item. The rewards are written on the back. I'm hoping to peel off another one in a couple of days!  I hope you all had a great start to May, too!

11 comments:

  1. That is too funny - the spring to finish representation!

    I'm curious, why did you choose not to walk?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The long answer: why I didn't walk.

    (a) I'm not really one for rituals and ceremonies.
    (b) UM is such a big school that they have multiple ceremonies. At the big, all-inclusive stadium one, they don't call names, but rather have students from each of the schools stand as a group stand for 5 seconds to be recognized.
    (c) The graduate school, Rackham, has a formal ceremony where they read your dissertation title, congratulate you individually and "hood" you. You have to finish by mid-March to do that in May. I'll be eligible to do it in December, and I WILL walk in that one because my dad REALLY wants me to. Also my adviser wants me to and is all pumped about hooding me. Funny dudes, those two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats. I'm a fellow Ann-Arborite grad student and mostly heard the helicopters from my apartment. But heard about the speech from others in attendance and your version of the crowd reflects what I've heard as well. My dad is also really all about the hooding, well, really just the crazy robes, but that's a few years away for me. Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! I have a soft spot for U/M graduations, having been to mine, my husband's twice, my two daughters, and one more for my son in 3 years (or so LOL)! You will love your grad from Rackham, and be proud that you have met your goals. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Large Congrats to you, walking or not, makes no difference. You have done what it takes to get there. I am sure that your Mom is beyond proud. Happy Mother's Day to her. She has an amazing daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your visual representation for the Spring to Finish Challenge. I need TIME and something to motivate me -- like a drill sergeant barking orders at me, or something! Must get going!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Must feel so good... enjoy it. And that ice cream... Pistachio is my fave, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pistachio, pistachio! Why have I never seen this in my supermarket? I love pistachio, I love Ben&Jerry.....obviously, I don't love fitting into my pants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pistachio, pistachio is very hard to find, but you must try it if you get a chance, it is the best pistachio ice cream I have ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you got to make it to the ceremony in time! Sounds like you had a fantastic weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my gosh, I didn't know Ben & Jerry's made a pistachio-flavored ice cream! My fave! I will have to go search for this at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in! (I like chimes!)