18 April 2010

so...

I've got nothing new to show you people.

Why?  Because I'm pushing hard to finish ye ol' dissertation and the writing process isn't as photogenic as the quilting process.

Even if you really make an effort.

Ho-hum.  I've been motivating myself with long lists of everything I'm going to do as soon as the big D gets turned in.  Dyeing is on the top of the list.  I want some hand-dyed solids for a quilt I'm planning.  You see, I'm in love with this collage by Anna Betts.

I sent her a message a while back to ask if she'd mind if I nabbed the design for a quilt.  I was granted permission (thanks, Anna!) and then experimented with some techniques for piecing circles and started to think about fabrics. I have repeatedly pulled fabrics from my stash with the full stops in mind, but I never got a stack that clicked.  A stack of hand-dyes are going to be the answer, I think.  I'm planning on grays plus the Teal to Coral color array from Widger's book.

I'm also excited to get cracking on some works in progress, but that's just a matter of sitting down and sewing...fun to do, but not something that creates much of a diversion just to think about.  : )
Jacquie's doing another Spring to Finish Challenge, so maybe I'll join in!

Some stuff that piqued my interest this week:


102.365
Originally uploaded by mrsmcporkchop













1. I'm loving this block mrsmcporkchop posted in her flickrstream.  Using yellow as a base fabric?  Yum!

2. Sew, Mama, Sew! had an interview with one of my quilting idols Denyse Schmidt.

3.  And finally, the giveaway at Fresh Modern Quilts on flickr wrapped up, so I got to play Yente/Santa and connect prizes to people. Everyone made my life easy by following directions and being speedy. I think 8 of the first 10 winners got their #1 pick, which was awesome!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be honest, I'm not likely to read your dissertation, but it does look like you have some interesting reads there.
    Boo hoo, I didn't win a prize. Oh well, happy for winners and the group as a whole!
    And what fantastic inspiration. I can see what I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That collage is fabulous!

    I loved the interview with DS too. I haven't been checking her website in a while and was totally blown away by her Mt Lebanon series and the quilts for an inn. They were heart stopping!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your dissertation!!

    ReplyDelete

Chime in! (I like chimes!)