31 March 2010

card catalog

Remember the days when looking up a book or subject at the library meant using the card catalog?
And not an electronic one, but one with actual cards arranged in drawers?
Now I only ever see card catalogs in people's homes.  Where they explain how they got them at a thrift store for an absolute song. And they fill the drawers with all the bits and bobs and emphemera associatied with their favorite hobby. 

Well, if you are one of those people that always wanted a card catalog of your own, and you live near Ann Arbor, make your way to the University of Michigan's Property Disposition  sometime soon.  The place is filled with card catalogs. Rows and rows of them.  $200 gets you one cabinet (6 columns), about 5' tall.  The sides are unfinished (you can see above), I'm not sure about the backs.

I don't have room in my budget or home for a card catalog, but I do think I might head up there again to take photos once my Methods Quilt is finished (since the Methods Quilt is based on a book and the light at property dispo is lovely).

They also have some hospital beds at the moment that would be perfect for anyone shooting a horror film.  But no chairs suitable for sewing tables.  : )

7 comments:

  1. This makes me really tempted to make a trip to Ann Arbor! Or to con my cousins into picking one up for me. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm tempted by the card catalog - if only there were enough room to put it...LOVE the Methods Quilt - great idea, fabulous colors and awesome title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dream of a card catalog for storing scraps. Alas, no room for one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to have a card catalog for little quilting bits and pieces. Plus, it's a conversation piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmmm...if only I had a place to store one of these in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! I love furniture with lots of little drawers! I would so love to have one of these. Alas, not in my current budget or space plan!

    The method quilt looks amazing - can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to work in the Grad Library when I was at U-M and loved flipping through all those drawers. There was something about the soft, worn edges of the cards, the faded typrwriter ink, and the smell was so distinctly...academic.

    I bet one of those would hold a crapload of thread!

    ReplyDelete

Chime in! (I like chimes!)